Monday, December 15, 2008

Social Gatherings

Ok so in my pre-children days in Waco I had a nice little group of friends (well actually multiple groups...my friends didn't mix well). Each group would get together at different times and go out to eat, to the movies, shopping, or just chilling at someone's house. It was really fun to have these "dates". I had my oldest son at 19. People that age don't normally have kids nor do they do kid friendly activities so when I had him my social circles died out very fast. I met my husband when he was 2 months old (my son not my husband) and I moved to Houston shortly after. Mostly because besides my mom I had no more ties to Waco. I lost touch with pretty much everyone there and the ones I had touch with I rarely saw. Since being in Houston I have struggled a lot with finding friends. Sure I have Chris' friends whom I love dearly but, I really need some of my own friends. I have since accepted that some of Chris' friends might actually be MY friends too if I give them a chance. Now here's what I don't get. Chris lives in a pretty smallish town/area. Bigger than Waco but, not by much. He has about 6 pretty close male friends. J1 and J2 are brothers and we see them about once or twice a month. M we hardly ever see anymore. D I haven't seen in about 2 years with the exception of my birthday this year. S I have only seen a handful of times the whole time I've been with my husband and J3 I have heard stories about but, I have only seen here and there in passing. I don't understand this. If these were my friends we'd have monthly dinner dates and such just to get together and catch up. I guess this is one of the differences between women and men. Women love to get together and chat and generally enjoy each others company. Men will still consider someone a "best friend" even if they haven't seen someone in years. This week I am determined to get my husband to schedule a "date" for sometime in January where we can all get together, significant others included, and just catch up. I know we will all see each other at J3's New Year's Party so hopefully that will help. Stay tuned in January for the follow up to see if this worked!

No comments: