Friday, February 20, 2009

Fried Ham! Fried Ham! Cheese! and Bologna!

OK tell me that some of you are also old enough to remember this rhyme from summer camp or various church events?? If you don't ( I don't know what kind of world you grew up in then, it must not have been much fun!), it went like this: "Fried ham, fried ham, cheese and bologna and after the macaroni we'll have onions, pickles and lettuce, and then we'll have some more fried ham! Fried Ham! Fried Ham!" then. Oh my then. Then you would say "second verse (or third, fourth, etc...) same as the first ________ style and a whole lot worse!" and do it in various styles. For instance, you could do "underwater style" and chant the whole thing while jiggling your lips with your finger to sound like your underwater. I would post a tutorial video but, I do not hate myself that much...just try it...you'll get it. ANYWAYS! We used to chant this at almost every summer camp I went to...I grew up with a single mom and I went to A LOT of summer camps...I loved summer...and camps...and summer camp chants. Anyways! I'm getting off topic again. We would do this chant in various styles (underwater, cheerleader, preppy, monster, mom style *this was the best...you'd put your hand on your hip and shake your pointer finger like you were lecturing someone*, etc...) I had a point to this. Oh yeah. So this was my favorite thing about summer camp. And then, I grew up, had kids, and now I'm a weirdo if I try to go to summer camp. So next best thing! I'll teach it to my kids and it will be so much fun! We can do microwave marshmallows, camp in the living room, sing songs, and I can teach them this chant! (Remember earlier when I said I do not hate myself? I was so very, very wrong. I am very masochistic.) Well we were out of marshmallows, the boys couldn't quit fighting over the pillows, and they didn't like my songs. HOWEVER, they LOVED my chant just as much as I thought they would. Yay me, right? WRONG! This was a few weeks ago. My youngest son Craig, he's my spirited one, he feels the need to bust out in this chant at any moment he sees fit. It was very adorable for a few days. Now I'm wishing I had never heard this rhyme. Especially when today, I'm trying to do yoga, and I'm in the triangle pose and he comes up and uses his finger to do underwater style on me. Oh My Lord. That pose is so hard to do in the first place. Much less come tumbling out of because your child has made you laugh so hard you think you're going to pee. I love this child to death but, sometimes I don't know whether to yell at him or give him a great big hug.
In other child news, Trent has fully recovered from his swing incident and has full plans to try it again minus the emergency room visit. Oh and for future reference, when such an incident occurs and he misses 3 days of school, when he returns to school, plan on going up there with him. Especially if he is a chubby cheeked short kid who is the teacher's pet of every teacher in the school including the ones who don't teach him. They will all want to see him and make sure he's OK.
Well child #1 is thinking now's a good time for a nap and I'm thinking no so I need to go wake him up. Cheerio!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Ok, so child number 2 has sang Shake your groove thing to me and I have yet to hear Fried Ham? Mom style? The grandmother is hurt.
I will get you my pretty! You and your little dog too!